Saturday, June 16, 2007

"When Panic Attacks" by David Burns

David Burns was one of the first proponents of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and wrote about it in his previous books, "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy" and "Feeling Good Handbook", but I got introduced to CBT through the book "Phobia and Anxiety Workbook" by Edmund Bourne, and I was extremely interested in it and how it applies to our everyday lives, and I thought Dr.Bourne's text is extremely well told and presented, so I am partial, but I've never felt that from the books of Dr.Burns. I've felt that Dr.Burns's books are more like sales material for his courses and therapy, and have some very aggressive and sales tactic feel to them and some high-school variety of humor that just didn't work with me.

I prefer Dr.Bourne's texts on CBT, but this book is also quite good in presenting all the different methods of CBT and illustrating them with great example cases. It is commendable that Dr.Burns is so thorough in his presentation of the CB techniques, but it doesn't seem like he is presenting different ones, but many variation to a similar one. Although it could be a good reminder of the CBT techniques, I'd rather recommend different books on CBT like Dr.Bourne's ones.

No comments: