Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville

I tried. I made myself go through the first 50 pages. This book won awards and is classified as 'weird fiction' that I should like, but I couldn't continue. I actually got all three books of the trilogy set in this world, however there are too many random stuff that just takes too much effort to get used to.  The scarab-head-women-with-great-bodies is one of them, not necessarily the most undigestible. 

It seems that I like fantasy and speculative fiction books that at least have some starting point in the current reality, human universe.  I mean even in far-off books like the Dune series by Herbert, there is still Earth somewhere in the long lost past. Same with the Foundation series by Asimov.  I guess I just cannot digest books that don't have Earth and Humans somewhere in the narrative, albeit long gone.

I won't be reading many more weird fiction books that do not contain Earth and Humans. 

No comments: