Thursday, November 6, 2008

"Thus Spoke Zarathustra" by Fridrich Nietzsche

I've read this book for a third time now, and I am not sure I understand it more than when I read it for the first time at age 16 in high school, pretty much exactly 16 years ago. Nietzsche's Zarathustra walks around talking to dead men, animals, trees and other men and saints, exposing his beliefs of God, the Universe, the proper way of living, morality and, of course, Nietzsche's favorite topic - the eternal return.

This is the book where Nietzsche through Zarathustra's mouth proudly exclaims "God is dead!". I don't buy much into the bible verse style of writing though. I know other philosophers used it below, and it allowed Nietzsche to claim that it is the 'deepest book ever written' but it is arguable how much questionable depth you can put in piles of bad poetry. Just look at Aliester Croweley, and the piles of verse garbage he wrote, for which he claimed to contain the deepest secrets of magic.

I find other Nietzsche's books, like 'The Twilight of the Idols' and 'Beyond Good and Evil' much more accessible and valuable for getting acquainted with his thought, which was very new and very radical in his time. This book also got me in big trouble with the local librarian when I was 16, but that's another story :)

No comments: