Brief and Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
I finished this book back in March and it was a part of my new initiative to read Pulitzer-prize winning fiction, Because of the health and life happenings of the past few months (including the month-long hospitalization, thanks wife!) I haven't written any reviews, though I have definitely continued reading. Now that I am reinstalling THERIPPER in order to erase any possible hacks, I have time while BitDefender is running full disk scan (12TB), so here I am.
Well, one thing I didn't count with was that Pulitzer prize winners are dark, bleak and traumatizing, describing the worst of human nature, which I cannot stomach at the best of times, let alone in probably the worst psycho-physical situation I've been in my life so far. The ENTR mechanical keyboard feels good, but not as good as I remember from a lot of typing. Well, this book is supposedly satirical, i.e. funny, but describes some blood-curling scenes like Oscar being beaten to almost-death and the perps jumping on his head with both legs and his great-grandfather being tortured in Trujillo prison by having wet rope tied to his skull and then dried in the hot sun, causing permanent brain damage. Shit, I'm going to have nightmares about those for life. Definitely not a good idea to read it in this condition, but my condition was not bad when I started.
Anyway, the book is describing horrifying events through the lens of satire and sci-fi/fantasy obsession of the main character, the obese, love-hungry Dominican-American Oscar who wants to fall in love, but no girl in the US would have him so he goes back to Dominican where he falls in love with a former prostitute who is currently banging a corrupt police chief who orders the cruel beating and eventual murder of Oscar. The US authorities couldn't care less, of course, as long as the Trujillo regime is hunting 'commies'. Commies were more important to the US than the lives of its own citizens.
The books goes several generations back, with Oscar's mother, grandmother, and great-grandfather and what happened to them as a result of that animal Rafael Leonidas Trujillo being left to run amok since the US wanted him to kill more 'commies'. If you think Trump's regime is bad, checkout the US from the 50s and 60s - unbelievable. Google Operation Condor too.
Anyway, very well written book, very flowing style and funny parts, but certain scenes are lifelong traumatizing, especially when you know that it was all actually true and most of these perp animals were never punished (El Dentista).
No comments:
Post a Comment